Thursday, November 4, 2010

humility

Recently we received our first charitable solicitation of the holiday season.  I let my daughter open the 'junk mail'.  Inside was a picture of a young girl and a 'copy' of a letter her dad had written, from prison, requesting help in getting her a Christmas gift.

The organization sounded good enough but I already have a Christmas charity that our family participates in every year.  As I was cleaning I casually tossed the information into the recycling bin.  Honestly, I didn't even read the actual info, noted the 'child model' was cute and the 'letter' was a good 'heart-ploy'.

Well, today my daughter began to ask me about it.  I tried to change the subject and reminded her of the charity we participate in.  I also told her I had already tossed all the information in the trash.  She recited ALL the little girl's info: age, what she wanted for Christmas, her clothing size and the name of her 'dad', from memory.  She told me she wanted to send money to get that little girl her Christmas gift.

She was serious.  I had sense enough to not over look her interest.  I explained what that charity does--shares the love of Christ by providing Christmas gifts for children of inmates.  I explained I had already tossed the info but she was certainly welcome to save her $$$ to send or use for a similar charity this season.  She even found the little paper tag, later, that had all the exact info she had expertly memorized.  She was SO excited.

It wasn't until later that it really hit me.  How cynical I was in my heart...something my daughter obviously wasn't.  She doesn't care about charitable organizations, all she cared about was another human being.  A child like herself that has less than her and her heart was moved.  The more we talked about it, my middle also became interested and wanted to help.  He even suggested we could forego our own gifts and give gifts in this way instead.  That is something I have always wanted to do for the holidays.

Later, when it hit me...I was so over come by emotion.  I was so humbled by the sincere and innocent heart of my children. How awful and sad that even I, who sincerely cares about humanity, could feel so jaded, in a moment. In all of my sincerity, to still be so shallow.

My prayers were repentant this evening and full of thanks for being humbled and exposed. 
Humility, that leads to grace and love, is nothing less than lovely.

James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.



Charity that captured my daughter's heart: Angel Tree 
My favorite Christmas charity: Operation Christmas Child

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting...your comments make this space so much more LOVELY.