Sunday, September 19, 2010

a pocket full of sea glass & a heart shaped rock

Today was our first designated family day.  We've chosen to be more intentional about it.  We really enjoy being outdoors so that is what we are going to focus on while the weather is still cooperative.

We went to a beach we've never been to before and oooohed and awwweeed over the tide pools.  We saw sea anemones and sea urchins.  I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between them.  There were gorgeous purple ones though.  We also found plump orange and purple star fish and lots of crabs.  I might have gotten a bit sunburned too.
It was a rocky beach and there was lots of sea glass to collect.  The neat thing about sea glass is that you know it used to be trash.  What started out as someone's discarded glass bottle, with sharp edges, has been roughed up into a barely recognizable version of itself.  Small pieces, sanded smooth by waves and sand, rounded soft edges, now become cherished treasures to collect.

When I am in a rocky area, I always like to search for a heart shaped rock.  I can usually find at least one.  Today was no different and it was my daughter who found it this time.  It's amazing to see how my kids flourish when they are out in nature.  Suddenly my middle son, the 10 year old is Mr. Adventure.  Climbing over giant rocks, out to discover and conquer the world, unafraid.  It's a wonderful transformation to observe.

Finally we headed home.  Relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on another week. Not only did I carry home a pocket full of sea glass and a heart shaped rock, but lovely memories to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting...your comments make this space so much more LOVELY.