Saturday, November 27, 2010

discipline

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves...Prov 3: 11-12a

This cute little guy is one tough nut.  This was after numerous redirects and rebukes.  He was totally not phased by any of it.  His demeanor wasn't even defiant or angry--it was a non-chalant self-will.

He was going to continue to do what he wanted to do, regardless of how many times I told him otherwise. (and all this was happening before 10am!)

The neat thing was--we both kept our cool. This was a non-emotional event.  He stayed at that small space of wall pretty well. I think he actually tried to climb it. Seriously.

Afterward, I gave him a couple commands and tasks to do, to establish my authority and remind him who the parent was here.  He happily obeyed.

My flesh would love to let my children run wild and do everything they want.  It certainly would make my life easier--in the moment.  The verse above always comes to mind though and I know, in my heart, in the long run, I would be doing myself, my children and society at large, a disservice.

Appropriate training and guidance is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting...your comments make this space so much more LOVELY.