Thursday, September 16, 2010

touch

is a very valuable commodity. It can bring warmth and reassurance, show love, care and concern.  On my intentional journey to live lovely, I want to remember the value of touch.  I believe we should touch those we love way more than we probably do.

When you have a baby, it's easy, right? Then they squirm off your lap never to be seen again? Ha! The older your children get, there are less and less opportunities to offer a lovely act of affection.  I believe many marriages suffer from a touch deficiency as well.

I found this:

We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth —Virginia Satir, family therapist

Therefore, I proposed, for myself, as well as anyone else, to intentionally touch the ones you love *every* time you pass them.  Passing by in the hallway, put a hand on a shoulder. Passing through the kitchen, tousle your fella's hair.  I've taken extra time to brush my daughter's hair, her love language *is* touch, so I must be more intentional with her anyway.
What about your spouse? How far apart do you sit on the couch at the end of the evening? Or your teens, when it can suddenly be awkward to hug....? I give an encouraging pat on the back or shoulder with a positive comment. It has been scientifically proven that hugs release tension and reduce stress. If you are having  an extra difficult or trying day, call the family together and have a group hug, If you are frustrated with a family member, before speaking to them, take a deep breathe and give them a hug....see how it changes your emotional state and theirs!

It may sound silly because it's so simple....there is no need to over complicate life. Return to the basics, greet one another with a hug, especially those you love.

Hugs are lovely. 
Be intentional, be lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting...your comments make this space so much more LOVELY.