Thursday, September 30, 2010

play

Some days you simply have to stop and breathe.  Some days you have to *force* yourself to do this.  Today was one of those days for me.  I won't bore you with all the details that led up to this point...

I made a choice to ignore the still nagging to-do list in my head  and simply *play*.  I sat on the floor, just me and my babe.  I grabbed the basket of blocks, determined not to take it personal as he knocked down, with great glee, every block tower I made.

Everyone else was out for the evening.  I did not rush. I did not think about all the other things I should could be doing.  I simply stacked blocks, again and again.  He got hungry so I filled a little dish with cheese and grapes...again and again.  I squirted him with grapes and he laughed and laughed.  Then I showed him how to do it himself.  I threw a crumpled paper ball at him and he laughed some more and threw it back.  I lightly blew on it and showed him how it could fly.  He promptly tried to blow it back. I rolled wooden cars.

I helped him take off his socks when he'd had enough of those...then his shirt.  I think you can figure out where this is leading.  I was able to get all the laundry folded while he rolled around on the floor. 

Finally, at his initiation, he took my hand and led me to his bed to put him to sleep.  It was earlier than usual but I figured I probably shouldn't fight this rare moment.

The entire time I knew I would never regret these lovely moments.  I realized all the hecticness I had been feeling earlier, was gone, replaced with peace.

Play is a lovely pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting...your comments make this space so much more LOVELY.